16.10.13

Unbreakable by Elizabeth Norris Book Review

When I picked up Unraveling and Unbreakable by Elizabeth Norris I was intrigued with the story (I also wanted to have them be signed by Elizabeth so that was also an incentive). In Unraveling, I loved how Janelle is strong and steady and puts her family first. I loved where the story was going and how it was being unfolded. However, I found it very hard to get into. I usually finish books in two or three days and it took me almost two weeks for me to finish this book. I was not impressed. But, like every good book reader, you finish what you start so I started reading Unbreakable. I had absolutely no expectations for this book after the first one. I thought it would be just as boring as the last one.

Boy was I wrong.

Unbreakable is heart stopping, intriguing, and makes you wish that you could turn the pages faster. This book starts out four months after Ben's disappearance into a portal and Janelle is in her world trying to deal with the after effects of a national disaster. When Barclay shows up at her door and asks her for help, she knows something is seriously wrong. Janelle has five days to stop a human trafficking ring and save the people she loves. The countdown is on.

**SPOILERS AHEAD**

Parts of the book were really intense like when Janelle and Barclay were in his apartment under the floorboards hiding from the IA. Seriously, I could not turn the pages fast enough. But there were other parts like when Janelle and her crew freed the Unwilling that I didn't feel it. I just didn't get the feeling like I was personally in danger of that my heart rate sped up. Also I am not a fan of Ben. Sure he's sweet and romantic but I like a guy who is tough and expects that toughness out of Janelle too. That's why I am a fan of Taylor Barclay.

Barclay and Janelle are two very strong lead characters and I wish that they could have got together by the end of the novel but Elizabeth Norris had some other ideas in mind. I liked Barclay's death, as sad as it was, because it was heartbreaking to see one of my favorite characters die. He saved Janelle and her friends which makes me wonder if he actually did love her enough to sacrifice himself or if he was so dedicated to his line of work that he would do that. I don't know. I met Elizabeth a couple months ago and she gave me a copy of a alternate ending that she was going to put in a the book. I personally liked this ending better because it gave the reader a better insight as to how the characters dealt with life after everything.


** END OF SPOILER SECTION**

Unraveling and Unbreakable are two books you should pick up as soon as you can because once you start reading you won't be able to stop. The writing is great, the scenes are intense, and the characters are pretty kick-ass. You'll be rooting for Janelle on until the last page and it will definitely hook you in. Hurry and start Janelle's story!


Rating: 4.4 

No comments:

Post a Comment